The Yale Glee Club’s many loyal alumni are spread throughout the world, but find many ways to remain connected to the Glee Club family through their involvement in the Yale Glee Club Associates and Yale Alumni Chorus, as well as participation in singing dinners, reunions, singing weekends, and other alumni activities.
Who Are We?
The Yale Glee Club Associates (YGCA) are alumni of the Yale Glee Club. For more details, see our updated Articles of Association. Our objectives are the following:
- to provide an organized group of former members of the Yale Glee Club interested in preserving the tradition of student singing at Yale;
- to help the Yale Glee Club continue its contributions to music, to the University and its alumni, to the nation, and to understanding and friendship between peoples through its concerts and tours;
- to provide a means through which the members and others may financially support the achievement of these ends;
- to provide a nucleus of interested alumni with whom the officers of the University and of the Glee Club may consult on matters relating to undergraduate singing and who in turn may consult with other choral groups and the University in support of singing at Yale;
- to offer counsel and support to, and serve as a resource for, the Director of the Yale Glee Club and its officers on matters relating to its financial welfare and governance;
- to keep its members informed about the activities and accomplishments of the Yale Glee Club; and
- to afford suitable opportunities for its membership to meet in song.
YGCA Board of Directors
Founded 1937 by Prescott Bush ‘17
1937 – 1957: Frederic Carter ’19
1957 – 1962: Dudley Miller ’43
1962 – 1970: W. Gray Mattern Jr. ’46
1970 – 1974: Gerard S. Swords ’38
1974 – 1977: Charles Kaufmann III ’66
1977 – 1980: Conner M. Fay ’51
1980 – 1985: Richard Kimball, Jr. ’52
1985 – 1989: Kyle Pruett ’65
1989 – 1995: Kenneth Wood Jr. ’50
1995 – 2001: Peter Sipple ’62
2001 – 2003: Mark Dollhopf ’77
2003 – 2006: Rita Helfand ’83
2006 - 2009: Marvin Berenblum ‘56
2009 - 2014: Clayton Kaufman ‘84
2014 - Present: Marty Brennan ‘87
YGCA’s Recent Activities
Some of our recent activities, in addition to providing general counsel and support to the YGC and its director, include support of the following specific events and projects:
- Outreach activities (together with YACF)
- Weekend choral workshops in Washington DC and Boston
- Semi-annual newsletter Fol-de-Rol
- Annual fundraising for YGC
- Annual Singing Dinner with YGC
- Collaborate with the Yale Alumni Chorus on alumni singing opportunities
- Refurbishment project
- YGC’s domestic and international tours
- Plans for choral series and choral competition
YGCA vs. YAC
What is the difference between the Yale Alumni Chorus Foundation (YACF) and the Yale Glee Club Associates?
While there is a great degree of overlap, in general the YGCA is primarily focused on supporting the undergraduate YGC and the YGC Director, while the YACF is primarily focused upon activities for alumni interested in choral music. That said, the two organizations remain closely linked (most YACF members are also members of the YGCA) and collaborate on many activities. For more information on the YACF (including membership information), please visit the YAC website.