GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTED COMPOSITIONS:
• Mixed choir (SATB, divisi possible)
• Unaccompanied, with keyboard accompaniment, or with instrumental accompaniment of not more than three individual instruments
• Three to five minutes duration
• Preference will be given to unpublished works that have not received premieres outside of informal academic settings
• Rights to text must be cleared and evidence of copyright holder’s permission must be shown
• Secular or sacred text
• Level of difficulty suitable for a college choir or community choir
• $1500 plus travel expenses to New Haven for attendance at premiere performance by the Yale Glee Club during its 2024-25 concert season
• Possible future publication in Yale Glee Club New Classics Choral Series
• The winner will be announced in May, 2024. All entrants will be notified by e-mail. The winner will also be announced on the Yale Glee Club web site (www.yalegleeclub.org) at this time.
Congratulations to the winner of the 2023 Yale Glee Club Emerging Composers Competition, Ismael Huerta, for his composition of Ten Piedad de Nosotros.
From Villa Alemana, Chile, Ismael Huerta’s firsts steps in music were at school, with Andes folk music. As he wasn’t born on a family of musicians, he never thought of the possibility of dedicate his life to music, that is why, after finishing high school he started studies of engineering in Universidad de Valparaiso. Four years later, and after the death of his father, he decided, against all odds, to dedicate 100% to his passion, music.
Eager to learn, he decided to study musical composition in Universidad de Chile, beginning his studies in the year 2017. Nowadays, he is attending his seventh year of studying with teacher Pablo Délano, as master composer.
Ismael consider himself as a cinema lover, and also, a fan of folk music. In his compositions, he accentuate melodies and harmonies, trying always to conceal music from the past and present.
Up to the present, he has won 8 awards, Chilean and foreign, and his dream for his future is to be able to study film music or composition abroad.